Babs Dress Code.

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 20:43:05 +0100 (BST)

David Dunham:
> True, but we all know (from Jeff Richard :-) that Dragon Pass has
> bitterly cold winters, so those short skirts (or kilts, if you
> prefer) aren't too practical. (IMG they're a Ralian thing.)

True. The only character I know first hand 'IMG' that wore anything like that (a sort of mini-kilt or maxi-loincloth, perhaps) was an ostenatiously macho type, on a hunting expedition in mid-summer. In the winter, trews and leggings would be the order of the day (not to say, night). But what you wear into battle is an entirely different sort of 'practicality'.

> Since the women of Dragon Pass (if not all Heortling women) wear long
> skirts, the sudden appearance of women with short skirts would
> probably not visually convey that they were fighting women. The fact
> that they are garbed as a warrior does.

But 'garbed as a warrior' isn't what's in dispute, it's 'garbed as a man', which is what strikes me as quite singularly inappropriate for BGi. Any other female-oriented warrior cult you care to name I'd sooner grant you... In any case, they hardly lack for distinctiveness in _any_ respect, even when not about to go into battle.

I'm not entirely sure I buy my own 'Femininity magic' argument any more, though. Does being 'flashed' by a BGi immediately terrify men for that reason? -- after all, her "generative powers" aren't present any more... Though it still might sorta fit, in a stream of consciousness sort of way. Thoughts, anyone?

Cheers,
Alex.