The problem of Yelmalio

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 21:31:09 +1200

Peter Larsen:

Me>>A good way to view [the impact of Yelm on Hoertling Elmali] might
>>be the impact of Hellenism among the Etruscans, the Carthaginians,
>>the Romans, the Jews (cf Book of Maccabes) and the Persians.

>The problem with these RW examples is that we don't have the option
>of convincingly contacting our gods and asking their take on the question.

You are looking at it from a modern perspective. From the perspective of a devout worshipper, Roman Haruspexes, Greek Soothsayers, Persian Magi and Hebrew Prophets do have _do_ have convincing answers from their gods.

>Certainly Elmal knows who the sun is, and his exact relationship to it.
>What does he say when the distraught Devotee, who just got his ass kicked
>by some Solar Hero, begs to know what the deal is?

He says what he always has said, that he is the Sun. Whether his devotee still believes him in light of his tribulations is a different question altogether.

>On the other hand, when a Lawspeaker and a Grey Sage are screaming
>at each other over the correct way to honor their god, what does the god
>say?

Lhankor Mhy will say that both are worshipping him in the correct manner, just as the King and the Thunder Priest worship Orlanth correctly.

>Well, yes,Humakt is Death. But, is Zorak Zoran Death, or does he
>merely use Death?

He uses it. Uz know that Death is that Bright Round Thing in the Sky.

>How many Deaths can you have, especially when their
>followers can call them up to debate it?

As many as you want. Just because they can be called upon does not mean that the God's answers will be convincing to worshippers of other gods of the same affinity.

>If Elmal and Yelm are both the sun (along with Karzant, Somash
>(spelling?), and others) is any of their magic and philosophy
>transferrable?

People have tried throughout the ages with mixed results.

>And, if so, how do the gods (and spirits) feel about it?

Sometimes they are against it. Other times they seem to have no objection. This can be explained away by their worshippers. For example, Orlanth was widely worshipped throughout the EWF yet on the other hand, many of the Heroes who fought against the EWF were Orlanthi. EWF-foes claim that Orlanth was beguiled by Arangorf the Inner Dragon until Alakoring freed him.

>Does a priest ever get a dream from Elmal saying "My children have
>become polluted by the ideas of the tribe that rejected me; do
>something about it?"

Yes.

>And, if he does, can he just go to his
>Yelmallio/Yelm leaning fellows and say "Guys, Elmal is irked; you better
>talk to him." and have the god sort it out?

The Yelmic-symps talk to Elmal. Apparently he's fine and has no problems. They come away thinking the Trickster has been having fun again with old stuffed-shirt. The Priest comes away thinking that the lies of the fire tribe have blinded the Yelmic-symps to the truth and that they are beyond redemption. He agitates his followers for their explusion...