Dear God; who the heck are you?

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 16:30:33 +0100 (BST)

Peter Larsen on multiple solar gods:
> The problem with these RW examples is that we don't have the option
> of convincingly contacting our gods and asking their take on the question.
> Certainly Elmal knows who the sun is, and his exact relationship to it.
> What does he say when the distraught Devotee, who just got his ass kicked
> by some Solar Hero, begs to know what the deal is?

This surely rises (falls?) to the status of Old Digest Chestnut by now... Greg was somewhat humourous on the topic of Unlikely Things To Do With Divination at the last Convulsion, but maybe not completely pertinently to this instance. What exactly would a devout Elmali be asking of his god, pray tell? (Come to that, what would a wavering doubter be doing, asking at all?) What sort of answer do you think He might be likely to give? And how Objectively Accurate do you think deities can be held to be on the topic of their own cosmological significance?

Cheers,
Alex.