Re: Up Yer Kilt!

From: TTrotsky_at_aol.com
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000 02:34:47 EDT

Alex:

<< David Dunham ties himself in knots on Canonical Orlanthi Dress:
> A quick look at the encyclopaedia reveals that New York state, where I
> grew up, is colder than Scotland in winter (supposedly average
> January is above freezing for goodness sake!). Iceland's coast is
> slightly colder still. No kilts there!

 So the climatic model for Sartar -- just spitting distance away from the balmy Manirian coast, and several hundred miles _south_ of the middle of the continent where the serial toga wearers all hang out -- is now _Iceland_? Curiouser and curiouser. Previous guesses, such as central France, seemed much more on the money, for me. >>

     Or Switzerland for some of the more mountainous regions, perhaps. Iceland and New York certainly don't seem to make any sense as models at all. Mind you, its even stranger if Ralios *is* warm enough for fanatical kilt-wearers - after all, its further north, further west (which tends to make it cooler in Glorantha), at about the same altitude and just as full of storm barbarians (whose worship might affect the weather).

Keith:

<<Or what Geordies wear for a night oot.>>

     Wey aye, man, wor Keith knas what he's on aboot. (Translation: As a bona fide geordie myself, I can confirm that the above implication is an entirely accurate representation of our wintertime sartorial habits).

Forward the glorious Toon Army!

     Trotsky