Gods and faith

From: Peter Larsen <plarsen_at_mail.utexas.edu>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2000 15:52:52 -0700

Keith N says:

>I might be wrong but I really don;t think the Theistic Sacrificial
>Worshippers are as tied up with faith and reassurance and such like as we
>might think based on religious feeling in the modern world. The gods are
>facts of life, not acts of faith.

        While I think the cults of Glorantha are less tied up in questions of belief and faith than they are questions of practice (there was a lively discussion about this a few months ago), pretty much any religion needs to ofter some sense of reassurance and comfort to its worshippers. In the RW, there are a few that didn't -- the Fertile Crescent religions were pretty bleak -- but most religions try to help people make sense out of the troubles of life. I suspect there are a lot of devoted Elmal worshippers asking for guidance and reassurance (maybe not through the formal channel of Divitation, but in their prayers).

Peter Larsen