Re: The Glorantha Digest V8 #32

From: Carl Fink <carlf_at_panix.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2000 21:18:34 -0400

"Nick Brooke" <Nick_Brooke_at_btinternet.com> wrote:

> Check out http://www.btinternet.com/~Nick_Brooke/one-true.htm ("Whatever
> Happened to the One True Glorantha?") for a less rosy view of the Good Old
> Days . . .

Read it long ago. I haven't been active on this digest, but I still remain interested enough to read the occasional web page.

I don't mind contradictory "primary sources" particularly -- I'm a pseudo-academic by avocation, I know all about the need for confirmation and analysis. I object to the idea of INERADICABLE contradictions, because, as I said, they make things implausible.

And I've never gotten what *I* (I'm only talking about my own reactions) consider a good response to "What if an Orlanthi Storm Voice, a Yelmic nobleman, and a Malkioni Wizard all flew into the Sky Realm together and looked at the Sun?"

> You just ignored them; maybe because you were twenty years younger
> when you read them?

I didn't ignore them -- I found them fascinating. However, that was based on the idea that, while no mortal Gloranthan might know the answers, and certainly no player knew all the answers, *Greg and Sandy* knew (or would eventually decide on) the answers.

(It was always "and Sandy" even though Greg certainly is the ultimate authority.)

Now the attitude seems to be that even pointing out the contradictions is somehow foolish. The idea that it doesn't have to obey Aristotle's Law of Contradictions is just *weird* to me.

> Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2000 14:26:03 +0200
> From: Henrix <henrix_at_pp.sbbs.se>
> Subject: Re: Mills

Did anyone else want to add the words "Dark, Satanic" before "Mills"? - --
Carl Fink carlf_at_dm.net
I-Con's Science and Technology Programming <http://www.iconsf.org/>