Re: Silly Seasons

From: John Hughes <nysalor_at_primus.com.au>
Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2000 10:44:06 +1000

SILLY SEASONS Alex:

> An odd complaint! Unless one is going to get all misty-eyed, and
> claim, Greg-like, that Gloranthan weather can't be quantified by
> 'mere facts', and has to be considered an aspect of a Higher Truth,
> one would think it was possible to give useful indications of how
> cold or hold, humid, windy, and rainy it was over time, otherwise
> known as commonly known as The Weather(TM).

Not fair! my argument was simply about "appropriate" comparisons, about comparing apples and oranges. The debate was about *year-round* analogues for Sartar, and my post (which contained plenty of 'mere facts'/counter-arguments) was essentially that Gloranthan weather systems have too many non-terran relevant factors in operation for a single *year round* terran analogy, be it New York, Iceland, Scotland or whatever to be much use at all.

My own Lagerwater campaign is based just south of Skyfall Lake, so the daily weather there is fairly predictable:

Sea Season: Lots of rain. Big Storms.
Fire Season: Warm afternoon showers. Few Storms. Big Winds. Occasional sightings of Elmal. :)
Earth Season: Cool afternoon showers.
Dark Season. Sleet. Snow. Snow Storms. Blue Snow, Black Snow. Occasional light showers.
Storm Season. Snow. Sleet. Big Winds. Bigger Winds. Rain. Sacred Time: Anything goes, usually acompanied by rain.

Hmm, maybe the Scotland analogue has some merit after all... :)

YELM/ELMAL Gary|:

"I still say it's Elmal!" :)

Cheers

John

nysalor_at_primus.com.au                          John Hughes
johnp.hughes_at_dva.gov.au

Do you have a body? Don't sit on the porch! Go out and walk in the rain!
- - Kabir.