Logic and literature (sigh!)

From: Julian Lord <julian.lord_at_wanadoo.fr>
Date: Sun, 01 Oct 2000 03:13:16 +0200

Peter Larsen :

> >Glorantha is literature ; not a description of any kind of reality.
> >And the purpose of this literature is to induce pleasurable dreams
> >and fantasies which, by necessity, are incompatible with
> >'the' scientific method of reason.
>
> I disagree;

What's to disagree with ? That Glorantha is not reality ???

Glorantha IS a pleasurable dream and/or fantasy.

On the other hand :

> stories must have some underlying structure of logic or
> they are impossible to follow.

(Sigh!) Logic isn't Reality.

RR Mantra : "Go with the story"

NOT 'Swallow It Hook Line And Sinker'.

> >That Glorantha can produce seemingly incompatible fantasies and
> >dreams (in other words YGMV) is hardly a weakness, but a great
> >strength, and a testimony to the power of its design.
>
> There is a difference between YGMV and the problems of a setting
> that has been built up by committee over some 30 years of writing and game
> play.

What is this 'difference' ?

And : why didn't anyone invite me to the commitee meetings ??!?

> That Glorantha will never be consistent does not mean that a certain
> rough consistancy isn't a valuable thing.

Is anyone suggesting the opposite ?

You are confusing consistency and logic with reality.

Julian Lord

End of The Glorantha Digest V8 #38