Re: Silly Seasons

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2000 23:59:04 +0100 (BST)

John Hughes reels from an expertly delivered low blow:
> Not fair! my argument was simply about "appropriate" comparisons, about
> comparing apples and oranges. The debate was about *year-round* analogues
> for Sartar, and my post (which contained plenty of 'mere
> facts'/counter-arguments) was essentially that Gloranthan weather systems
> have too many non-terran relevant factors in operation for a single *year
> round* terran analogy, be it New York, Iceland, Scotland or whatever to be
> much use at all.

Fair, schmair. ;-) The debate was _really_ only originally about how cold Sartar gets in winter, as DD was using it as the starting point of a very long, thin, chain of reasoning about why all Babs G.i wear jeans... Surely the climatic analogues are just there as a shorthand for quantifying the weather? And so if there truly are none, another approch is indicated...

> My own Lagerwater campaign is based just south of Skyfall Lake, so the daily
> weather there is fairly predictable:

[another 'soft' season or five]

> Hmm, maybe the Scotland analogue has some merit after all... :)

Somewhat further south they obviously have decent summers, what with all that wine-growing. (South of England 'decent', at the very worst case; more Continental, for my tastes.)