Julian Lord, twice in one day

From: Peter Larsen <plarsen_at_mail.utexas.edu>
Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2000 20:14:21 -0700

Julian Lord says:

>The "laws" of Glorantha do not, then, resemble the laws of
>mathematics ; indeed they *cannot* resemble them.

        Sure they can, as I keep explaining (any internally consistant system works, after all). Even within Glorantha: in the West, laws very much like those of mathematics define all levels of society. Further west, on Brithos, they seem to define life absolutely.

>Related questions ; does Gregging have to obey Aristotle's Law
>of Contradictions ? Does Greg ? Is there room for a naff retcon
>or two in the crystalline order of a Newtonian Glorantha ?

        It's the structure, not the contents, that I'm complaining about. Ducks are pretty silly, for example, but they have been so thoroughly worked into the structure and story of Dragon Pass that they make perfect sense, and throwing them out would be a damned shame.

>Thankfully, it is a literature that contains many, many explanations ...

        For this sun thing?

>I think that you expect Glorantha to have the same excruciatingly
>detailed continuity as the Marvel Universe : no such luck.

        That's just mean.... Anyway, I, at least, perfer a Glorantha nothing like the Marvel Universe which is a patchwork of about a million bad ideas and cliches occassionally badly "justified." (I spent the last decade working in a bookstore that, among other things, sold comics. I was never even able to make sense of the X-men portion of the Marvel Universe, and I had several helpful fans assisting me. If you think Marvel has an "excruciatingly detailed continuity," you read different comics than I did. ("The Invisibles," now there's a comic that's nicely structured with room for mystery and ambiguity.) The great thing about Glorantha is that it has an organic feel, not the sense of a world where any bright (or not so bright) idea can be stapled on and become "canonical."

Peter Larsen