Re: The Glorantha Digest V8 #34

From: Martin Dick <Martin.Dick_at_Infotech.monash.edu.au>
Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2000 12:10:45 +1000

Carl Fink wrote:

> And I've never gotten what *I* (I'm only talking about my own
> reactions) consider a good response to "What if an Orlanthi Storm
> Voice, a Yelmic nobleman, and a Malkioni Wizard all flew into the Sky
> Realm together and looked at the Sun?"

I used to be bothered about this on the practical level, because one of the fundamental themes in Glorantha seems to be the clash of religions and worldviews e.g Orlanthi vs Lunars.

I'm no longer bothered by this because Hero Wars gives us the mechanisms to resolve this sort of issue in play, which to my mind is the necessary element that RuneQuest lacked consistent rules for, although we made them up as we went along in the past.

What happens IMO, is that the three conduct some sort of magical contest as they enter the otherworld to determine which part of the otherworld they enter and depnding upon who wins, that's whose view prevails and the other two end up with either an Alien World modifier or a not in my realm modifier. Mythic reality is determined by whoever has the biggest
mythic guns at the time. This is all that is necessary to run a consistent
campaign.

As for what is the objective reality behind all this, I'm sure no mortal really knows, probably not even the Gods know and maybe even the Dragons don't know, but to run a consistent, coherent campaign, you don't actually
have to know IMO.

Martin