Re: The Glorantha Digest V8 #43

From: Mikko Rintasaari <rintasaa_at_mail.student.oulu.fi>
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2000 11:10:13 +0300

:Julian Lord wrote

:While there are many suns and anti-suns in the many
:regions of the Other Side, this does nothing to alter the fact
:that there is Only One Sun in the Inner World. neither Yelm,
:nor Elmal, nor Somash, nor ANY otherworld entity is
:the One True Sun ; the One True Sun of Glorantha is a big
:yellow fiery thing up in the Sky. This is the only relevant
:fact for the macrocosmic coherence that some posters want
:for their Gloranthas.

Brilliant. This is something that is pretty easy to get confused about.

The inner world of Glorantha is in a way much easier to understand by taking a mostalish or Malkionistical view. The sun up in the sky is the big ball of fire, represented (or created by) the fire rune. The waters follow the eternal pattern of the sea rune. All by the immutal laws of reality (Creator, The Machine,...)

The theistic cultures have mythical explanations for the world around them, and their myths resonate with the reality of the concreate phenomenon of the inner world.

Yelm worshippes tell that the sun above is the Sunbarge of Yelm, and as loyal followers of Yelm they can call down his sunpowers. The Elmali have their own explanations, and they too can call on powers of the sun, but as their sun is different, so are their powers different.

Forcing different sungods into games of "truth or dare" may eventually force them to acnowledge each other infringing on the same territory, or even to recognize each other as the same being. This tend's to have very dangerous results, and will propably bring the wrath of the gods upon those attempting it.

        -Adept : who is feeling better about the subject already.

I think I think... Therefore I think I am.