Re: The Glorantha Digest V8 #44

From: Peter Larsen <plarsen_at_gslis.utexas.edu>
Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2000 12:57:05 -0500

At 10:51 PM 10/1/00 -0700, you wrote:
Nick Brooke on Broos:

>My guess would be that this is a scenario seed ("Ragnaglar Park"?) founded
>in bad philosophy, not a proof or disproof of anything in particular. And,
>of course, the experiment ought to be a failure, because that way PCs get to
>kill things.

        Wouldn't it be a better story if the experiment produced a success, but he dies during the course of hunting down Broo where the experiment didn't take? Anyway, it seems to me that, if Lunar Philosophy is at all valid, that Broo should be able to use it to rid themselves of the ugly side of chaos. Of course, there's no reason why any person, Lunar Citizen or not, would trust a Broo, o matter how civilized. The temptation to chuck it all in and go back to Mama Thed (now there's a Mommie Dearest for you...) must be overwhelming. "The Broo with the Golden Arm," anyone?

Peter Metcalfe says:

>>"Is Anaximader the Stygian
>>really following the true path of Yelm with his "Yelm is the Husband
>>of Kygor Litor sermons?"
>
>Gods do not know such things. In RQ3, they do not know what a priest
>of initiate is thinking and cannot deduce motivations. They cannot
>invade anybody's mind, though they will know what a worshipper tells
>them and whether a worshipper has lost faith.

        Wait. Yelm doesn't know who he's married to? If the gods cannot give clear answers about their own myths, who does know?

>As for your hypothetical example, Spolitism or Umbarism (presumably
>so called because of Xiola Umbar's Friendship with Yelm in the
>Darkness) was a real doctrine with similar tenets that dominated
>the Dara Happan Empire in the Early Imperial Age. How can you
>tell whether it is heretical or not? If it wasn't, then surely
>Yelm would have smote it?

        That's what I want to know. Since he didn't smite them, presumably they were OK. So by what authority were they suppressed?

>You just stated that you can understand how Yelm and Kargzant
>could be different because of different Solar tribes. Yet when
>you discuss Elmal and Yelm, why do you assume that they must
>belong to *the* Solar Tribe (as if there were only one)?

        Cause the write up on the Issaries website suggests it. Unless there are more than one Fire tribe wandering around the immediate area of Orlanth's Tula in God Time.

>But when you assume something (e.g. that Gods can detect
>heresy) and find that it causes problems, mightn't dropping the
>offending assumption be the way to go?

        I suppose so, unless dropping the assumption causes more questions than the assumption itself. I do realize that this is apparently another dusty topic from the past, and I am going to see if I can't retire to the archives to see what's been said there.

Peter Larsen

End of The Glorantha Digest V8 #46