Re: The Glorantha Digest V8 #46

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2000 21:15:02 GMT

Peter Larsen:

>>>"Is Anaximader the Stygian really following the true path of Yelm with
>>>his "Yelm is the Husband of Kygor Litor sermons?"

>>Gods do not know such things. In RQ3, they do not know what a priest of
>>initiate is thinking and cannot deduce motivations. They cannot invade
>>anybody's mind, though they will know what a
>>worshipper tells them and whether a worshipper has lost faith.

> Wait. Yelm doesn't know who he's married to?

Y'know you not helping matters much by these tactics. Not only was the original question ask for something completely different than the above snippet implies (it actually being a question over the detection of a heretic), I also addressed your latest question in a segment that you deleted.

::But since gods are worshipped in diverse forms (Storm Bull-
::Urox-Taurox or Rufelza-Taraltara-Natha-Rashorana), such
::human obsessions with correct ritual or dogma are for the
::most part far beneath their attention.

>If the gods cannot give clear
>answers about their own myths, who does know?

Oral and Written Traditions.

> >As for your hypothetical example, Spolitism or Umbarism (presumably
> >so called because of Xiola Umbar's Friendship with Yelm in the
> >Darkness) was a real doctrine with similar tenets that dominated
> >the Dara Happan Empire in the Early Imperial Age. How can you
> >tell whether it is heretical or not? If it wasn't, then surely
> >Yelm would have smote it?

> That's what I want to know. Since he didn't smite them, >presumably they
>were OK. So by what authority were they suppressed?

They weren't suppressed by any "authority". They were violently overthrown in a civil war by a Yelmic movement known as "The New Light".

> >You just stated that you can understand how Yelm and Kargzant
> >could be different because of different Solar tribes. Yet when
> >you discuss Elmal and Yelm, why do you assume that they must
> >belong to *the* Solar Tribe (as if there were only one)?

>Cause the write up on the Issaries website suggests it.

This is the writeup that doesn't mention Yelm at all?

>Unless there are
>more than one Fire tribe wandering around the immediate area of >Orlanth's
>Tula in God Time.

Dragon Pass and Dara Happa are a long way from each other to such an extent that the Orlanthi and the Pelorians are completely different people. As far as can be seen from Dara Happan maps, Yelm never ruled over Dragon Pass in the Golden Age.