Foolishly entering the Glor Weather discussion

From: Steve Lieb <steve_at_inncoat-usa.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2000 19:34:41 -0500

> >Of course wind chill is a huge factor also. In
> >the higher bits of Scotland (Ben Nevis, the Cairngorm Plateau) conditions
> >are found that are more severe than anywhere outside of the
Antartic/Artic
> >Circle or the High Himalayas.

Har har har!
That's a good one.
ODB already chimed in from Winnipeg, and I'll contribute my own chilly $.02 from Minneapolis, pointing out that we share the northern continental great plains, where the conditions can swing from over 38 deg C (100 F) in summer, to -50 C (-62 F)* in winter, with an unfortunately high proportion of the time closer to the latter than former.
* conversions rough, meteorologists and anal-retentives please forgive me.

In fact, when writing the Gloranthan weather generator program (stuck in the middle betas for too long now - I have too many projects...) my main objection is that Gloranthan weather is far too mild for my tastes. Sure, northern Pent, the immediate area around Valind's Glacier, and the northern extremes of the KoI are all places where snow might accumulate, but most of the rest of Genertela is depressingly Californian (in weather, not in wierdness) ;).
There's actually a fairly small proportion of the continent that's temperate, in the sense of experiencing a distinct summer and winter (with persistent snow).
Sadly, I missed the start of this discussion; I'll pitch in my own RW analogues (heavy on the US climates since that's what I know best - apologies for the high fraction of international digest readers): Loskalm: Oregon, N.Calif. (should be substantially colder, but I don't read that to be so (nothing about the long winter, huge snowdrifts, etc.) in most descriptions of Sog City, etc.)
Arolanit, Castle Coast: S.Calif
Seshnela: S.Louisiana (bayou) - although considering the ocean currents, Olympic Peninsula would be more accurate Maniria: Hardwood subtropical, much like Alabama. SW Georgia Safelster/Ralios: dry upland, much like the Estremadura or some parts of southern Italy
Upper Janube (and Peloria, if not for the Kalikos Cult): Wisconsin/Minnesota Peloria: Iowa, Illinois, Ohio
Dragon pass: Kentucky, W Virginia
Prax: High Steppes East of the Caspian Sea Wastes: Western China/USA Badlands
Pent: Mongolia, but with more snow
Kralorela: almost exact analogue of China, from hot steamy southern jungles to dry cool northern climes, islands like Japan

FWIW.