The subject of subjectivity

From: simon_hibbs_at_lycosmail.com
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2000 09:33:36 -0400 (EDT)

Mikko Rintasaari :

>The person running the world (GM, Narrator, etc) should know what makes
>the world tick. I'm all for knowing the broad objective truths of
>Glorantha. I'll be much more capable of running the myriad cultures and
>viewpoints that have insights into some portions, and are wrong on others.

You have been told them, and they are printed in many Gloranthan products. It's just that the objective truths of Glorantha have a substantial subjective component.

>Why should the GM be kept in the dark? I run a game where philosophy and
>metaphysics are a distinct streak. I need to know what can be found by
>digging below the surface. Greg had decided to keep us guessing, and
>indeed one can find a pattern to Glorantha. It's a great excersise in
>holistic and coherentistic thinking.

If you are familiar with ral world philosophy, you will know that there are no objectively provable moral truths or philosophical statements. Yet human beings are instinctively moral beings and act in a moral context. Why should this be any less true in Glorantha? You are demanding that Glorantha be more simplistic, less complex and ultimately flawed in ways that the real world is not. Why? Just to make life easy for you in running your campaign?

Oh heck.... You're not one of those people who believes that their worldview is objectively true in the real world are you? If so, this discussion is pretty much over before we start.

Simon Hibbs