Re: Foolishly entering the Glor Weather discussion

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2000 15:17:01 +0100 (BST)

Steve Lieb:
> In fact, when writing the Gloranthan weather generator program (stuck in the
> middle betas for too long now - I have too many projects...) my main
> objection is that Gloranthan weather is far too mild for my tastes. Sure,
> northern Pent, the immediate area around Valind's Glacier, and the northern
> extremes of the KoI are all places where snow might accumulate, but most of
> the rest of Genertela is depressingly Californian (in weather, not in
> wierdness) ;).

No, I think it's _much_ more similar in weirdness, really. ;-)

> There's actually a fairly small proportion of the continent that's
> temperate, in the sense of experiencing a distinct summer and winter (with
> persistent snow).

One hardly needs persistent snow to have a temperate climate, and a summer and winter! (Unless Ireland has moved to the tropics, as a certain stout advert lampooning various of its drinkly rivals would have it.) It'd suggest that a broad band of Genertela, running roughly SW-NE, would be temperate, with the reasons moderated somewhat on the south coast, to a greater or lesser degree.

> Sadly, I missed the start of this discussion; I'll pitch in my own RW
> analogues (heavy on the US climates since that's what I know best -
> apologies for the high fraction of international digest readers):
> Loskalm: Oregon, N.Calif. (should be substantially colder, but I don't read
> that to be so (nothing about the long winter, huge snowdrifts, etc.) in most
> descriptions of Sog City, etc.)

I think it certainly is colder; I don't imagine huge snowfalls, though. (No winter depression track, or whatever.) Look at the fauna of northern Fronela, for example: reindeer and such nonsense. (Before more people write in half-frozen from the northern mid-West pointing out how balmy northern Scandinavia is by comparison, bear in mind that there is a reason why these critters have heat-exchangers in their noses...) Loskalm itself would be (distinctly) cool temperate, rather than actually sub-artic, though.

> Arolanit, Castle Coast: S.Calif
> Seshnela: S.Louisiana (bayou) - although considering the ocean currents,
> Olympic Peninsula would be more accurate
> Maniria: Hardwood subtropical, much like Alabama. SW Georgia

These all sound to me to be a touch too warm.

> Safelster/Ralios: dry upland, much like the Estremadura or some parts of
> southern Italy
> Upper Janube (and Peloria, if not for the Kalikos Cult): Wisconsin/Minnesota
> Peloria: Iowa, Illinois, Ohio
> Dragon pass: Kentucky, W Virginia
> Prax: High Steppes East of the Caspian Sea
> Wastes: Western China/USA Badlands
> Pent: Mongolia, but with more snow
> Kralorela: almost exact analogue of China, from hot steamy southern jungles
> to dry cool northern climes, islands like Japan

Those all round about right to me. Maybe Ralios would be more northern than southern Italy (a small quibble, but them Appenines do make a difference).

Cheers,
Alex.

End of The Glorantha Digest V8 #50