Re: Icewine; Yelorna; Dara Happans in Dragon Pass

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_pensee.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2000 08:12:35 -0700

Dave Pearton

> > And we know that Clearwine is an ice wine -- it has to freeze to be good.
>
> We do? I always pictured it as more of a brandy type thing (maybe not
> using a distillation process, but stronger than usual wine). Ice wine
> would rather detract from the "magical clearwine grapes" brought up from
> Esrolia.

It's my understanding that it's literally an ice wine -- it also stays cold all summer long.

Mikko Rintasaari

> I think Yelorna is obviously originally a Dara Happan goddess. Her cult
> was popular (relatively) in the time of EWF, and Pavis invited the cult
> and their Unicorns into his city.

She's almost certainly from Ralios (see the Broken Council Guidebook), and during most of its history, the EWF and the Dara Happans were enemies. (Excepting of course when the EWF ruled Dara Happa -- I can't remember if this was at the time of Pavis.)

Christoph Kohring responded to Peter Metcalfe

> > Dragon Pass and Dara Happa are a long way from each other
> > to such an extent that the Orlanthi and the Pelorians are
> > completely different people. As far as can be seen from
> > Dara Happan maps, Yelm never ruled over Dragon Pass in the
> > Golden Age.
>
> Where can those maps be found, I'm curious ? GRoY ? FS ? I don't remember
> seeing any but that was a long time ago & a borrowed copy.

GRoY. And I think Peter may be wrong -- p.22 shows Elempur, south of Saird. I'm aware that this is one of the least representational maps in the book (and isn't Golden Age), but in modern times, south of Saird means Tarsh, which is Dragon Pass. Elempur brings the Bow of Dominance to Anaxial, which also suggests that norther archers dominated Tarsh.

David Dunham <mailto:dunham_at_pensee.com> Glorantha/HW/RQ page: <http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha.html> Imagination is more important than knowledge. -- Albert Einstein