Misc threads

From: Peter Larsen <plarsen_at_mail.utexas.edu>
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2000 11:44:01 -0700

Phil Hibbs comments:

>lets take this point literally. The "myths" are a mortal interpretation of
>the divine world, so maybe the god doesn't know their own myths. They know
>what their existence is like, but this doesn's map 1:1 to the mundane world.
>It may seem at times that you get contradictory answers from the deity. You
>may well ask Yelm "Are you the Sun that I can see in the sky", and actually
>get a "no" answer. If you asked the question in Dark Season, when the sun
>according to DH mythology is Yelmalio, and Yelm is dead during winter, for
>example. I'm not saying that, it's just an example off the top of my head.
>It may however be true in some places, or at some times.

        Well, thanks. This is a clear statement of this approach, and one I can accept. I think the "map disjunction" has to be pretty high for the amount of confusion seen on Glorantha (especially in Peloria which seesm to have a lot of trouble with heresies and schisms), but it's more a matter of degree than kind.

D. Pearton says:

>There are so many great potential wine heroquests out there... Maybe I
>should actually write them down sometime.

        Now that would be lovely. As Tim Power's "Earthquake Weather" shows, there is nothing trivial about wine and myth... Besides, heroic actions for food processors and nice wine have a certain Califoria-ness about them that seems very appropriate to Glorantha....

Olli Kantola describes a broo tragedy:

        There's a whole "West Side Story" theme to be explored, too. "How can I love her, she only has two arms..."

Peter Larsen