Will the real Glorantha please stand up...

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2000 19:23:00 +0100 (BST)

Mikko Rintasaari:
> The person running the world (GM, Narrator, etc) should know what makes
> the world tick. I'm all for knowing the broad objective truths of
> Glorantha. I'll be much more capable of running the myriad cultures and
> viewpoints that have insights into some portions, and are wrong on others.
>
> Why should the GM be kept in the dark? I run a game where philosophy and
> metaphysics are a distinct streak. I need to know what can be found by
> digging below the surface. Greg had decided to keep us guessing, and
> indeed one can find a pattern to Glorantha. It's a great excersise in
> holistic and coherentistic thinking.

Look at this way; if your game is from the POV of a culture that this allegedly easily described Objective Glorantha (OORPG?) would deem to be not quite right (which is almost certainly all of 'em, to a greater or lesser degree), or if it's "mixed POV", such as having as one of its themes the cosmic-scaled 'identification challenge' between the RG and Orlanth, your _players_ had better not know what this 'model' is, otherwise it completely subverts the premise of your game. If the GM wants to 'know' this, he he can bleedin' well work it out, or determine it by (quiet, I hope) fiat.

Greg is for the most part keeping us guessing because he's guessing himself, I believe. (Or channeling partial and not completely consistency-processed information, to be nicer and perhaps more accurate.) With rare exceptions like the Secret of the God Learners (TM), about which I suspect the most interesting thing is that it's such a big secret. In particular, he works most often by doing it one viewpoint at a time, so I feel most of these Grand Overarching Theories are after the fact, and never intended to be in any way presciptive. Or as John H. would put it, it's bottom up, not top down.