What's the Weather Like, Where are the fish?

From: Gary R Switzer <gswitzer_at_loop.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2000 16:11:52 -0700

Oliver Bernuetz sez:

>Doesn't help real people get a feel for the climate though...

In regards to having the weather described in game terms. That's what God made NPC's for. If the Innkeeper or Steadholder comes in stamping his feet and saying "Better bundle up, lads, it's brass monkeys for sure." your players will have some idea that it's colder than usual. Do they really need to know what "usual" is? Prolly not. I find that most players just want to know if the weather is too bad to go where they want to go. My old RQ group knew how to control the weather with one GM...just try to go someplace he didn't want us to go in his Griffon Mt campaign and it would start snowing or raining...hard.

On the subject of things fishy...where are the fish and other aquatic critters other than those in AR? Is there going to be a separate Oceans book to cover those?

Gary R Switzer
Aero Hobbies

"While travelling from Nochet to Handra on one of the great Esrolian grain hulks we were "treated", if that is the word, to a favorite meal of the ship's boys. Rat. Though the crew calls them "millers" saying that makes them eat better. These were no ordinary sewer rats, but rodents that had fed exclusively on grain, many raised by hand by the young boys of the crew. Fat and glossy-coated our young attendant showed us his prime millers, laid out and dressd like tiny sheep. Cooked with bacon fat, dredged with flour, ground in a small Esrolian hand mill, and dressed with the ubiquitous Orlanthi onion sauce, we crunched them up like larks, bones and all. They tasted like young rabbit and made an interesting break from our normal fish dishes."

(With apologies to the late Patrick O'Brian)