Re: Ice wine

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2000 01:25:53 +0100 (BST)

Andrew Barton:
> Distillation on earth wasn't invented until the 13th century, and in
> Glorantha seems to me like something only dwarves would do. So freezing is
> the only obvious way to produce a higher alcohol content than wine.

This is of course how they make appljon, up in the Quivins, IMG. (RW inspiration fairly obvious, though everyone in said game looked pretty puzzled when I threw in mention of it, and remained that way several weeks after...) But an eiswein is made by concentrating the sugar of the grape (I'm not sure if there's some technical reason it won't work on the pressed juice, since my chemistry of sugar solutions is a tad rusty), rather than the alcohol of the ferment. So the net effect would be to give you a sweet, highish-end-alcoholic wine, rather than anything outside the normal range for wines. (About 15% or so, due to yeast's suicidal anerobic metabolism...)

Cheers,
Alex.