Corrupt priests

From: Peter Larsen <plarsen_at_mail.utexas.edu>
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2000 20:12:32 -0700

Graham Robinson says:

> However, I don't think this means that the majority of people are so
> cynical - certainly no more so than in real world religions of the past.

        I hope not; I find it an unpleasant thought.

> Divination being vague is, to me, a seperate issue. Not being able to ask
> for exact information all the time is not necessarily going to lead to
> corruption, any more than your dad not doing your maths homework will
> necessarily lead to poor marks. Sometimes you have to just use the tools you
> have and do your best.

        I am thinking of the specific case of heresy and schism. How can you justify an inter-creed war if both sides are, as far as they know, correct in their worship? "Joan, are you a witch?" "Ask God." "God, is she a witch?" "No (or words, symbols, etc. to that effect)." "Gosh, let her go then." It does take the drama out of it, doesn't it? So, that's my beef with divination.

> And anyway, whats wrong with corrupt priests? Mighty good fun.

        As long as not all of them are. I mean, I'm not fond of televangelists, but, almost always, when one walks on screen, we know he's on the take. So where's the drama.

Peter Larsen