Re: More wining...

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2000 14:05:39 +0100 (BST)

D. Pearton:
> I know scrumpie (mmmmm...) is made by freeze fractionating cider,

That's applejack, rather than scrumpy, I believe.

> but I've never heard of that been done with wine.

Me neither. It may not work so well (or at all) at higher concentrations of alcohol, since the freezing point will drop, and at some point it'll become a constant-freezing mixture, for which I quite forget the posh term. (The same thing happens with distillation, though at pretty frightening (if you're a brain cell, at least) concentrations.)

> In the west certain sorcerous orders have learned how to maniupulate these
> sprits (or essences) and concentrate their effects via arcane processes
> (involving lots of boiling and coiled pipes). These essences are high in
> the fire element and help resist the effects of cold.

I'm normally leery in the extreme about magic-as-technology type insertions into Glorantha, but I tend to be of the belief that "liquor" is known to cultures for whose RW "analogues" it would be shockingly anachronistic. I blame the Tales crowd, who have inserted "Lunar gin" into my subconscious, so sadly, Sartarite whisky could not be far behind. Obviously actual stills seem amazingly unlikely, unless possessed by actual dwarf-friends, but I think it's not implausible to get similar results through largely magical means.

If all else fails, there's always Tanien, after all. Which seems like overkill for a small peaty tipple, I grant you, but it at least makes a good, slanderous rumour. "The Lunar authorities have authorized punitive raids against the Veskris clan due to their proven use of illict sacrifice to The Forbidden God." "Pile on, lads!"

Cheers,
Alex.