Otherworld meta-maps.

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2000 15:04:28 +0100 (BST)

Nils Weinander:
> In a way, one could speak of a mystic World, which is
> neither Other- nor not. A major point is that the whole
> setup with mundane world and otherworlds is a big lie
> according to the mystics. The trouble is that once you
> reach the "mystic world", you disappear from the others
> and they disappear from your view.

Right. "If it's not transcendent, it's crap". If you can do anything resembling a HeroQuest there, it can hardly be what a mystic in the strong sense is looking for, so it must be an error in perception/ trap set by malign forces/tool to cosmic liberation/other provisional construction on events.

> > , void = below,
>
> Where does that put the threeways intersecting Underworld?

What, you actually believe that stuff? ;-) I'd say either a) this analysis negates that understanding; b) both are different, but neither strictly more or less accurate than the other, approximations to the truth, understood in different says; or c) I warned you all this is the sort of crap them happens all the time when you try to discretise continua, depending on how I felt at the time... (I'd have said simply "Underworld" though, at least in the Kralori construction, resembling Asrelia's pad, or Lodril's first Hell or three, at least as much as it does the really nasty bits.)

> > east = ... where does Vith live?
>
> Now that's a tricky question. Vith lives on Vithalash, but what
> that means otherworldlywise is quite confusing. As deities, do
> the High Gods live in the theist otherworld? As mystics, are
> they Somewhere Else?

We can agree that's the question, yes. ;-) Perhaps both? Though the place to start (perdon me if I echo another thread...) is what do the Vithelans say, not what HW rulebook consultants or God Learners say about the chap.

> Alex:
> >
> > It may roughly fit the
> > Kralori worldview: they certainly see themselves as being the perfect
> > balance of a host of opposed principles.
>
> Interesting!

I thought so. ;-) "Makes sense", or "Greg believes a word of it" I can't speak to...

> > They'd equate the
> > Vithelan mystical 'Otherworld' with nihilism, broadly speaking,
> > I think, rather than saying they don't have one.
>
> Quibbles as to whether a non-place is an otherworld, but
> apart from that, I agree.

Right, the Kralori might not put quite that spin on it. Perhaps 'magical principles' would be more their take, since whether it's anyway else's "Otherworld", or what they might be doing it it, they couldn't care less about if they tried.

> > Also I feel obliged to point out that the Lunars _do_ have a mystical
> > otherworld, of a sort at least.
>
> They do?

Lunar Hells, most notoriously.

End of The Glorantha Digest V8 #57