The end of a long road

From: Peter Larsen <plarsen_at_gslis.utexas.edu>
Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2000 12:55:49 -0500

Peter Metcalfe answers my question:

>Not so. Both sides can conclude that each other has deceived or
>enslaved Yelm in some way, making them heretics of the worst sort.
>The best example of this is how the Orlanthi explain away their
>god's support for the EWF: Orlanth is beguiled by Arangorf the
>Inner Dragon until Alakoring frees him.

        Excellent; I had forgotten about this myth, and it's very helpful. Forgotten isn't the right word; I read it twice this weekend, looking for something else, but it didn't take. Something is at work....

>For rival Yelmi? The answer is simple: there can only be one
>Emperor following our true path of Yelm. The Malkioni fight
>for similar reasons while the Orlanthi fight against anything
>that tampers with their freedoms (New Gods worshipped by us
>are spiritually liberating - Weird Gods worshipped by the people
>of the next valley are evil spawn of the Emperor seeking to
>enslave us).

        Well, thanks for the effort. I think this is still sort of problematic, it seems to allow humans to have a pretty free hand in ignoring the god's desires (such as they are), but I suppose there are stories about priests and devotees who push there luck too far and are horribly punished (like the German tale of the Bishop who gets away with being a complete bastard for years until God sends a plague of mice to eat him alive). Anyway, that's a different issue, and one I'm happy to deal with on my own. I realize this has been frustrating, but you've been a great help. Thanks.

Peter Larsen

End of The Glorantha Digest V8 #58