Re: Ice Wine

From: Graham Robinson <gjrobinson_at_ntlworld.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2000 20:19:34 +0100

Andrew Barton wrote :
> > I always pictured it as more of a brandy type thing (maybe not
> using a distillation process, but stronger than usual wine)
>
> Distillation on earth wasn't invented until the 13th century, and in
> Glorantha seems to me like something only dwarves would do. So freezing
is
> the only obvious way to produce a higher alcohol content than wine.

Distillation is much older than this. Aristotle mentions it, but only for obtaining pure water from the sea. There is some evidence for the Romans producing brandy like drinks as early as 100AD, and the chinese were distilling rice beer by 800AD.

Having said that, it does have a certain dwarven feel to it - maybe thats what the openhandists are really up to...

Cheers,
Graham