Re: Truth & Proof & otherworlds

From: Nils Weinander <nils_w_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2000 09:14:01 +0200

Phil & Alex and me:

> > > , void = below,
> > Where does that put the threeways intersecting Underworld?
>
> Where does that one come from?

and

> What, you actually believe that stuff? ;-)

I see no reason why not, at least until there is a better theory. Then again, Phil's model is neat enough to be a better theory...

> The Void is the nothingness that the world sprang from, and is the reason
> why the underworld is such a depressing place.

I can buy that.

> Dragons, being the opposite of void (they are everything as opposed to
> nothing) belong naturally at the top.

I'm less convinced of that. As Alex said, the dragons seem to be more in the centre. OTOH one could rationalize and say that that's because they are everything.

> > Now that's a tricky question. Vith lives on Vithalash, but what
> > that means otherworldlywise is quite confusing. As deities, do
> > the High Gods live in the theist otherworld? As mystics, are
> > they Somewhere Else?
>
> We can agree that's the question, yes. ;-) Perhaps both? Though
> the place to start (perdon me if I echo another thread...) is what
> do the Vithelans say, not what HW rulebook consultants or God Learners
> say about the chap.

They say he lives in Vithalash, that he gave up his magnificent palace when he left rule to Govmeranen and now lives in a simple hut with his wives. Not much help in determining where/what that is otherworldlywise...

AFAIK the only Vithelan High God which cannot be reached in any way is Oorduren. One could assume that he has done the mystic thing full way.

I think you can meet Vith on a heroquest, both in his earlier more active role and in his later withdrawal.

> > > Kralori worldview: they certainly see themselves as being the perfect
> > > balance of a host of opposed principles.
> >
> > Interesting!
>
> I thought so. ;-) "Makes sense", or "Greg believes a word of it"
> I can't speak to...

Makes sense, I think so.

> > > Also I feel obliged to point out that the Lunars _do_ have a mystical
> > > otherworld, of a sort at least.
> >
> > They do?
>
> Lunar Hells, most notoriously.

In what way are lunar hells mystical, apart from the fact that the odd mystic (Sheng) gets stuck there?

Nils Weinander
The world is a beautiful place and it's worth fighting for

Do You Yahoo!?