Re: Metaphysics

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2000 14:32:29 +0100 (BST)

Mikko'n'me:
> :Which do you want, physics or metaphysics? And if the answer is
> :'both', at least be clear about the distinction. Physics is what
> :the Inner World does, and can be agreed on by all parties, given
> :sufficient time, stress pills, and padding on the walls. Metaphysics
> :is in such hot dispute that it's been flatly stated by the Powers
> :that they're no mutually compatible.
>
> Glorantha is a magical world, where raw willpower and observer effect
> shape reality much more readily than in our own Terra.

That's a very odd statement for someone who believes in an 'objective Glorantha' to make. That sounds more like the sort of straw man people who want to rubbish anything smacking of a multiplicity of truths say...

> Physics and Metaphysics are both about finding out how the world
> funcions. I don't see that much difference between them.

That contradicts every definition of metaphysics I'm familiar with.

> Physical phenomenan rise from
> metaphysical causes ultimately (especially on Glorantha).

Arguably, both in the sense that it could be argued here, and that such a proposition would be argued over, in Glorantha...

> :Such as what? Can you give me a sample "resolving mechanic" of any
> :of the sorts of topic we've been discussing? What _is_ the ultimate
> :nature of the sun, the place in the world and moral value of chaos,
> :etc?
>
> Moral value of pretty much averything is cultural and subjective.

OK, we agree on that much, at least. But I presume you want to have a "true nature of chaos", just as you do a "true nature of the sun", etc. And I do mean et cetera: you could replicate this endlessly, for each and every phenomenon in Glorantha that people have different accounts for: i.e., all of them, pretty much.

> My guess (view) is that Yelm is the God of the actual Sun above. There are
> many Solar gods, but their nature is a bit murky after Godtime. Worship of
> the sungods propably strengthens the sun in general terms (in addition to
> the worshipped God). But this is parhaps the single most difficult topic
> for me, and I would dearly like to know what Greg is really thinking about
> this.

But never mind just the solar gods (that this would imply have nothing but hundreds of thousands of deluded and misled worshippers); where does this leave the animist (and indeed the "animist"), the mystic, and the liturgist? Everyone's wrong but me, says that Yelm priest? Of course it's reasonable that he would, it's believing him that's suspect...

I say this not to attack your proposed solution (which may well be the best of a bad lot), but to point out the difficulty, the lack of utility, and the problematic nature of _any_ solution of that form

> :It doesn't seem reasonable to me to have pre-packed Ultimate
> :Truths that are unavailable in the game world; if we did have them,
> :it would for me cheapen trying to get inside the heads of the poor saps
> :that are labouring under some inferior perception product.
>
> *non believing stare* Really?

Makes a change from "Umm", at least. ;-)

> Personally I think it would make for better
> gamemastering and lessen the number of gray hairs I get thinking of the
> prezel that is the Sun of Glorantha.

I don't see why. I'm playing an Elmali, or a sorceror, or a mystic who knows that the sun is just a series of provisional manifestations of a higher reality; you're the GM, clutching a copy of Glorantha: the Ultimate Reality (see earlier post for product code), which tells you that my character's beliefs are at best inferior to those of a Yelm worshipper, and at worst complete nonsense. How has this made either of our gaming lives any easier, richer, or in any way better?

If what you're advocating is in effect, "iron out the bumps to make things more consistent", arguably it's easier in some sense, but certainly its a whole lot less interesting as a game-world.

> Cultures are subjective, but worlds aren't. The GM should know.

Then the GM should make his mind up, if he wants to know. Hopefully in a way that's not going to screw the game-world up for other possible games with a "universal" predetermined solution.