Re: Apple growing

From: Weihe, David <Weihe_at_danet.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2000 10:35:17 -0400

Mikko Rintasaari:
> I may be wrong here, but I think that grafting is actually a very old
> thing, and was practised in ancient greece way before 0 AD. I will check
> this.

Rather older than 0 AD. It is explicitly forbidden by the Law of Moses (I don't remember which book, but will assume Leviticus). This would place the practice at least 600-1100 BC - if it was forbidden to keep the Hebrews a bit more nomadic herder vs farmer (grafting takes a lot of care to get started) that would indicate the earlier end of the range.

Orlanthi apples will tend to be closer to the ancestral crab apples than either Pelorian or Esrolian apples, especially in Far Point, as it gradually devolves, or Brolia. Golden Delicious-like breeds will be exclusive to the civilized lands, while Dragon Pass probably has wild groves of more stable varieties left over from EWF groves, much like the Rome Beauty that Jonny Appleseed spread throughout what is now the US midwest, as well as crab apples (which make fine pies, just don't eat them raw without a great deal of chewing). This would mean that the Lunars and Lunies-simps of Tarsh will just be introducing the Delicious trees as the Hero Wars break out.