Re: Clan rings

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_sierratel.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2000 12:31:33 -0700

> I had some questions about clan rings among the Orlanthi and of course I
> can't find my copy of King of Dragon Pass (it's got to be in one of those
30
> boxes or so that we haven't unpacked since we moved dammit!) I was
> quite pleased to see part of an answer in the KODP Mailing List this
morning
> i.e. the names of the seats on at least one version of the ring
membership,
> thanks Roderick, but I have a few other questions as well.

Just a note to those *not* on the KoDP list, the question had come up there because someone was wondering about how Tribal ring were handled in the computer game.

> 1) How are ring members chosen? Is it through a general moot or does the
> chief chose them?

Clan Inner Ring Members are appointed by the chief. However, there is a lot of politicing in some cases, and the intelligent chief listens to his people - the "Inner" Ring, the "Outer" Ring and Joe Orlanthi the Farmer.

The Inner ring is a council for the chief. He appoints people to advise him on the mood & magic of the farmers, fighters, etc. These are formal positions.
There are a number of different forms of Ring - The Storm Ring (where everyone has the "seat" of one of the Storm gods - no Girls needed), the Lightbringer's Ring (the seats are named after the Lightbringers, KoS 253), the Earth Ring (Earth Gods & Goddesses, a much more Peaceful ring that the Storm), the Orlanth Ring (Gloranthan Visions 75), the Traditional Ring (KoS 253), etc.

KoS 256 has the makeup of the Tribal Ring, which has 13 members: Orlanth, Humakt, Urox, 2 ThunderBrothers, Issaries, Lhankor Mhy, Chalana Arroy, Elmal, Ernalda, Asrelia, Voria, Eurmal. Tribal Ring members are usually nominated by the King and approved by the Clan Chiefs.

A Clan's "Outer Ring" is basically anyone who is in a position of power; Family heads, warriors, priests, god talkers, etc. Sometimes "subcommittees" are formed to face certain problems. In KoDP the "outer Ring" are all those people available to you that aren't already on the Ring.

> 2) If 13 is the traditional size of rings (that being an Orlanthi all of
> course)
> are some members on the inner ring and some on the outer? Do most
> clans have an outer and inner ring?

Size of the ring is variable depending on what type of ring it is - the "traditional" ring has seven members, the tribal ring has 13, other rings may have more or less members depending on tradition.

> I'm sure the answers are all in those damn boxes somewhere but I don't
> anticipate unpacking the rest of the boxes anytime soon.

KoS has the most information currently published. One of the heortling books (Probably Storm Tribes) will have more.

RR

End of The Glorantha Digest V8 #61