Interesting

From: Kmnellist_at_aol.com
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2000 18:01:13 EDT

In a message dated 10/5/00 7:48:55PM, you write:

<< It's a bit out of context there. Mostly I meant that the metaphysics of  Glorantha are even more interesting than in our universe.>>

I don't think you should class the metaphysics of an imaginary universe as more interesting than the ones of the real world; more peculiar, more complicated, more MGF perhaps, but it seems odd to think that they would be more interesting. At best they are reflections of and perhaps say something about the metaphysics of the RW. (if "metaphysics of the real world" is something one can say)

:> Moral value of pretty much averything is cultural and subjective.

Hey, how "interesting" something is must be a moral value.

<< I do like to know what chaos is, yes, and where it comes from, what causes  it and so forth. I don't like the view that it's all cultural, and if the  Orlanthi (Praxians, etc.) just stopped believing in it, the broos and such  would cease to exist.>>

But realistically, all you need to know is observed effects of said 'chaos'. Even to a broo, all he needs to know is what *he* thinks he should do because he 'knows' he is chaotic. Dragonsnails do not understand the fundamental nature of chaos, why does the Narrator need to understand it (apologies to Narrators for comparing them with Dragonsnails, or is that apologies to Dragonsnails?)

 <<I like to know as much as I can of chaos. It's one of the major primal  energies and components of Glorantha, and very important for the GM to  understand.>>

In what way is it important? Answering my own question, it might be important if the super-plot twist involves some revelation about the nature of the universe, but I am in solid agreement with Mike Dawson that the Ultimate Truth should be the preserve of the Narrator alone.

If the Truth were known and published it would make a mockery of 'less correct' versions of things in the same way that the misapplied worship rules have made a mockery of 'incorrect' worship to such an extent that no one seems to believe that anyone practices missapplied worship because it is so obviously weaker. Everone seems keen on defiant cults. This is a flaw in the rules, but also a flaw in the description of the world - because it makes missapplied worship objectively the wrong thing to do.

<< Infact it greatly pisses me off that most of the Glorantha authors seem to  have the view that the Malkioni are gaining ground from the Orlanthi and  pretty much everybody else. I see no reason for this to happen, but  apparently the authors think that the Malkioni culture (oppressive and  hierarchial) always wins out over the orlanthi one. I just don't see the  orlanthi wanting to give up their freedom and their gods and becoming  westeners.>>

I am not sure which authors think this. I don't think anyone is as fond of the West and its denizens as most of us are of Sartar, but that is another story.

Keith N