Re: Gloranthan reality, and the need for answers.

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2000 13:30:17 +0100 (BST)

Mikko:
> It's much easier to understand a system if one can examine it from the
> outside. I can understand the broad lines and central forces. The details
> spring from those.

That's far to 'top down' for my tastes. If Greg had created Glorantha that way, then it'd be like every other game-world out there, and far less interesting, so I'm rather glad it has these "problems".

> Do you think somebody out there really knows how our world ticks?

No, but then again, I don't think anyone knows how Glorantha "really works", either...

> In Glorantha, I as a GM can know these things, but they
> will be very hard for anybody on the inside to work out.

Well, you say that, but I see little crucial difference.

> Because I need to know what happens when the characters do something that
> isn't covered by the cultural data, or by published examples. In my
> campaign the silly characters managed to destroy a crystal that was the
> heart of a chaos tainted serpent god*. The heartstone had been sucking in
> every soul that had died in the area for the last thousand years, and when
> it all went up, the energy released was enough for a Gloranthan
> A-bomb. Except that energy was lifeforce and Will, with no guiding mind.
> I need to understand the gameworld so I can deduce what happens.

You've told us nothing about the cultural background, making it possible for anyone to answer in those terms. But I can't see any fundamental problem here; this is an exercise in the mirco-descriptive, not the cosmo-explanatory. Nor am I clear what "objective game-world fact" you actually deduced, and applied here, anyway.

Cheers,
Alex.