healed broo and heresy

From: David Cake <dave_at_difference.com.au>
Date: Sat, 7 Oct 2000 10:17:51 +0800

Peter Larsen wrote:
>Anyway, it seems to me that, if Lunar Philosophy is at all valid,
>that Broo should be able to use it to rid themselves of the ugly side of
>chaos. Of course, there's no reason why any person, Lunar Citizen or not,
>would trust a Broo, o matter how civilized.

        Of course, Lunar philosophy says that broo should be 'healable'. They can prove it - they have such 'healed' broo. The ugly matter of normal broo reproduction probably remains in effect, though. In practice, there are very few broo that appear to have been successfully civilised - a small enough number of decadent Glamour celebrities that sceptical observers could easily convince themselves that they are not truly healed, just better able to conceal their innate depravity.

        Inspired by the few 'healed' broo illuminatants, its perfectly possible that someone will then go on to try to breed out the innate nastiness of broo and produce a civilised strain - and like Nick, I think its inevitably going to go terribly wrong, mostly because I think that is the best direction for dramatic use of this idea.

        Mike Dawson says its Dorkath, but I think its near Glamour - Dorkath may be decadent, but its decadent in its own established way, I think messing with Chaos isn't their style. Its Glamour and its surrounds where the real mad Moonies live, with plenty of high-powered magic - its also the centre of the official ideology that demands healed broo.

Peter Larsen
>How can you
>>tell whether it is heretical or not? If it wasn't, then surely
>>Yelm would have smote it?
>>
> That's what I want to know. Since he didn't smite them, presumably they
>were OK. So by what authority were they suppressed?

        Its important to understand how the gods smite heretics. The don't do it by just suddenly smiting out of nowhere - they do it by sending the true and faithful to smite them. The true and faithful have various means (including divination etc) that help them determine who are heretics - of course, the heretics use the same methods to determine that they are true and faithful as well.

        What is the difference between a heresy, and an different (new or old) interpretation of the god? I think the difference is simply how controversial it as, and who wins the resulting controversy. Orlanth Elf Friend might be only an interesting local variation and secret rite, that is considered odd. But Orlanth the Dragon Friend or Tarumath where at various points both controversial, and losers in the resulting conflict - they are thus clearly heresies. Orlanth Rex was at one point controversial, and in danger of becoming a heresy - however, Alakoring won the battle and it is now mainstream.

	Regards
		David