Re: mystic otherworld

From: Nils Weinander <nils_w_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 07 Oct 2000 22:37:27 +0200

Me:

> >There is no mystic otherworld, the underworld is an
> >intersection of the animist, theist and sorcerous ones and
> >I though the celestial world was mainly a theist thing?

David Cake:

> There is a mystic otherworld, its just the mystics dislike
> it, so its not 'home ground' for them either. The 'Garden of
> Temptation' exists, they just don't think you should spend time there
> if you can avoid it. Because of the mystics refusal to interact with
> it, it has different properties to other otherworlds.
> To be completely honest, I think this abscence of a mystic
> otherworld is very overstated, anyway. For something that doesn't
> exist, we seem to know a fair bit about it (Summer Land Heaven,
> Yothbedta's Stream, etc).

SLH I can't say much about, but Yothbedta's Stream and other places of Vithelan myth are definitely in a theist portion of the Otherworld, as the actor's in these myths are mainly deities (with disclaimers about the High Gods as previously mentioned). So, it's Vithelan, but I don't think it can be called mystic.

> > A major point is that the whole
> >setup with mundane world and otherworlds is a big lie
> >according to the mystics. The trouble is that once you
> >reach the "mystic world", you disappear from the others
> >and they disappear from your view.
>
> Thats not really a mystic world, but a mystic state.
> Conceiving it as a separate world is not entirely wrong - but as long
> as you understand that its a world in which the concepts of time and
> space are meaningless (instead of just extremely rubbery as they are
> in the otherworld generally).
> I think the mystics believe that those who are not of
> sufficient mystical development definately do interact with the
> otherworld

I agree.

> >In what way are lunar hells mystical, apart from the fact
> >that the odd mystic (Sheng) gets stuck there?
>
> The worst Lunar Hell of all, the one where the very air is
> pain, the one where they stuck Sheng, is where Gerra's (and thus
> Sedenya's) Illumination took place.

Which means you can achieve mystic liberation there. That does not necessarily make it a mystic otherworld, but there is no reason to rule out the possibility entirely I guess.

Nils Weinander
The world is a beautiful place and it's worth fighting for

Do You Yahoo!?