paper

From: Karin Goihl & Daniel Fahey <goihlk_at_zedat.fu-berlin.de>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2000 18:10:26 +0200

Topi Pitkanen suggested :
>>Mostali have paper-machines. Mostali have small paper-factories!
>>And aldryami HATE mostali for cutting trees to make pulp and paper.

Oliver:
>This doesn't ring true to me. Why would they use such an ephemeral
material
>like paper made out of living things (shudder) when they are surrounded by
>vast quantities of metal and stone?

Good paper is not made of wood, but linen, cotton, or other materials, and thus
doesn't require acid to make it into pulp. Paper produced without acid easily lasts many hundreds of years and is, by the way, much longer-lasting than pergament and vellum. Paper produced in S.T. 1 could easily still be around in the 1600s.
Now where could Mostali get such plant fiber?

Daniel