More writing

From: Peter Larsen <plarsen_at_mail.utexas.edu>
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2000 09:29:23 -0700

Robert Darvall makes some good points (and has the genesis of a folktale there, too).

> numeracy & literacy should be intensly magical skills in G. Far more
> than RQ demonstrated (HW remains a closed book thus far).

        I don't know if I'd say magical but certainly strange in backwoods Sartar. Of course, the ability to "read" (identify, really) runes is a magical feat for the Lhankor Mhy lawspeaker, while reading is a tool for the Grey Sage in Boldhome. I remember a story, though, about a medieval European scholar who was famous for being able to read without keeping place with a finger and vocalizing. So, regardless of the general level of literacy, the ability to read in a "modern manner" would be quite exceptional (Read New Pelorian 10W3?).

Keith N writes about written Darktongue:

>I think there is a reference to huge hieroglyphs carved in Cragspider's
>'Palace which I think might be Darktongue.

        Well, what is written isn't necessarily true (as Mr. Frusetta suggests, below). I'm not really against literate Uz, I just don't think it's necessary. Overall, I think Glorantha is generally presented as too literate (mostly because we, as RPG players, belive reading is a good and natural thing to do). None of which, of course, means that there aren't literate Uz -- anyone can learn to read. Craigspider is welcome to have hieroglyphs in a dozen languages, including some she's created (she's pretty old, after all), without the Uz as a whole having a written language.

James Frusetta

>Actually, from what I understand from Greg, most uz really *aren't*
>literate, and
>the whole written Darktongue thing will be Gregged sooner or later.

>Suberites, for
>example, since it's a good "secretly thing." And uzuz.

        Well, they wouldn't be very visually oriented, would they?

>But, damn it, for the *true* MGF, it's the Zorak Zorani that are literate!
>Yes,
>bereft of their spirit-tossing shaman womenfolk, the Zorak Zorani huddle
>around
>their lead textbooks to transmit knowledge on. Few humans have gazed on
>the horror
>of the Great Zorak Zorani Temple at Cliffhome, and it's monstrous Great Troll
>Overdue-Book Enforcer Squad. The terror!

        Um, it's so terrible, it just might be true. As a library school student, I admit the idea of a Great Troll fine appeals committee is very appealing.....

Peter Larsen

End of The Glorantha Digest V8 #78