Humakti

From: Andrew Larsen <aelarsen_at_facstaff.wisc.edu>
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2000 16:50:53 -0500

    A couple of questions about Sartarite Humakit occurred to me the other day, and I didn't know the answers to them. Maybe the answers have already been established and I just missed them. They all arise from the fact that a Humakti has severed his ties with his kin.

  1. Are Humakti legally related to anyone?
  2. Can they inherit property from a relative? Can they will property to a relative? My thought is that they can if they make formal arrangements, but that they are not considered default heirs or to have default heirs in the absence of any formal arrangement.
  3. Let's say that Joe Humakti and Bill Orlanthi are brothers. Bill is killed in a dispute by John Uroxi. Is Joe obligated to avenge Bill by starting a blood feud? If he's not legally related to Bill anymore, presumably the answer is no. Likewise, if Bill kills John's brother, can John kill Joe to get vengence? In RW systems, the answer would be yes. But if Bill and Joe are not legally brothers, the answer should be no.

Andrew E. Larsen