Re: Humakti

From: John Hughes <nysalor_at_primus.com.au>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 15:59:57 +1000

HEORTLING HUMAKTI Andrew opens the gate on Sartarite humakti.

In line with the 2-dimensional humakti thread, I'd like to begin by offering my opinion that Humakti are one of the most misunderstood cults around, and that Hero Wars may even have (initially) taken us a step backward. So let us offer a fine black bull and seven fat-tailed sheep to the altar of Thunder Rebels, in the hope of a decent expanded understanding.

The tension comes from our admiration of humakti as cool distant, honourable samurai-like dudes-in-black (which means they're great pcs) versus the reality of their cult and its place in society. There is a constant tendency to play up the 'untouchable killing machine', and to otherwise 'normalise' them to make them subscribe to player values. Its a tendency I've often had to fight in my own campaign.

Interpretations of Humakt fall along a wide spectrum, from the fully-integrated, 'one on every Ring' model offered by KODP to my own 'ill-wyrded and traumatised individuals on a desperate path'. Doubtless the range of interpretation is illustrative of diversity among the tribes and within the cult itself. So I'd be daft to offer any sort of Sartar-wide 'truth', but these are the answers from my own campaign, and from my own aged humakti pc Broddi Clapsaddle. Mine is one understanding among many.

First, what are humakti like in the eyes of average Heortlings?

How do humakti act? Again there's a range of interpretation, from the 2-dimension 'kill everything that moves' slicer and dicer to the 'prepare yourself to die properly, and understand the gift' or 'death must come with honour' schools. I tend to emphasise the latter, though once my humakti start killing, they're very difficult to stop. However, humakti are *not* above the law, and will be called to account. If they weren't, then every murderer, cut-throat and player-character in Sartar would join the cult.

Humakt is feared. His magic and purpose is terrible. Most Sartarite warriors will sacrifice to him ('gift for a gift' is basic to Heortling understanding) but few will devote themselves to him. The cost is a terrible one.

While there is a range of variation, I don't hold that many join Humakt willingly in the hope of picking up some decent sword play and cool magic. Most are *called*, and this usually occurs after some horrific battle or raid. Deeply traumatised individuals are called to the path of the god as a way to cling to sanity and to find purpose as they continually relive the experiences that have scarred them.

Of course, there must be a balance, and Humakti must mediate themselves with the wider powers and community. They are very very good at this, and so its always dangerous to stereotype *any* humakti. They will surprise you, confound you, or kill you (and possibly all three, in that order :)).

> 1) Are Humakti legally related to anyone?

"Old Broddi Clapsaddle loved her, and trusted her, but Broddi was humakti, and therefore dead, no longer of the clan. No one should trust the dead in matters of the living, even though Broddi was otherwise much respected, for he was wise for a man - even the women said so - and he bred the finest fighting cuks in all the Far Place. Yet blood is blood only when it flows."

They're *severed*. Not only that they're *dead*. We've held his funeral, we've burned his effigy and personal effects. He doesn't speak at the moot, though the elders will certainly listen to him beforehand. He isn't encouraged to have anything to do with planting or herding, and its major bad ju ju for him to ever sit at the same hearth as a pregnant woman. He and the other humakti have their own small lodge to the west of the stead hearths. Broddi was married once, but divorce was automatic on his *death*. The trauma associated with his being called by humakt - his wounds, his madness, his screams in the night - would probably have been enough to bring about a divorce anyway.

Broddi's only kin now are his kaylings, his cult-brothers and sisters. I believe that sexual desire decreases greatly as one severs oneself from life, so if necessary, he would choose sexual partners from among his kaylings. If you think about mainstream Heortling society, a humakti would rate only slightly above an Uroxi a as choice of sexual/marriage partner. Player characters tend to fight against this as part of the 'normalising' tendency.

The cult acts as a bloodline for purposes of law cases and weregild. Yes you can take humakti to court, but you think *very carefully* about doing so. However, to remain within acceptable Heortling society (and the cult does, just) it *must* be accountable. If a humakti kills stupidly or wantonly, she will be called to account.

> 2) Can they inherit property from a relative?

He's dead and severed. No.

>Can they will property to
> a relative? My thought is that they can if they make formal arrangements,
> but that they are not considered default heirs or to have default heirs in
> the absence of any formal arrangement.

Yip, and this was carried out when he *died*, i.e. when he was claimed by Humakt. All kin are now *former* kin.

> 3) Let's say that Joe Humakti and Bill Orlanthi are brothers. Bill is
> killed in a dispute by John Uroxi. Is Joe obligated to avenge Bill by
> starting a blood feud? If he's not legally related to Bill anymore,
> presumably the answer is no. Likewise, if Bill kills John's brother, can
> John kill Joe to get vengence? In RW systems, the answer would be yes.
But
> if Bill and Joe are not legally brothers, the answer should be no.

Legally, no, but legality is only one dimension of this. Humans being what they are, there are lots of possibilities.

Broddi, for instance, still retains a deep affection for his former kin. And a few idiosyncrasies as well - despite humakti being seen as anti-fertility, Broddi still breeds fighting cuks. He's a great favourite among the young warriors, who spend time at his lodge to escape from bloodline elders and parents. He trains them in weaponry and tactics, and he isn't always harping on about building herds and finding rich sponsors and a good match. His thirst for honour isn't the same as his former kin's thirst for justice or revenge, but it often overlaps- he may well assist in revenge killings as in Andrew's example. The man has depth, and in his old age, a measure of acceptance and even peace. He knows his own death, when it comes, will be well-chosen and will honour his god.

Humakt excites passion. I expect there'll be many replies to your post. And to mine :)

John

nysalor_at_primus.com.au                          John Hughes
johnp.hughes_at_dva.gov.au

Bound I to Humakt - Serve in awe
yet practise double labour.
With skaldic verse, and tales of war