Re: Humakti

From: Phil Hibbs <phil_at_snark.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 23:27:04 +0100

>However, humakti are *not* above the law, and will be
>called to account. If they weren't, then every murderer,
>cut-throat and player-character in Sartar would join the cult.

They may try to join the cult, but they would fail. But, I mostly agree with you point. No-one is above the law, but some people are *outside* it. Outlaws and tricksters spring to mind. Humakti may also be in some areas.

I think John Boyle over-emphasises or misinterprets the honour side of Humakt in The Road of Kings, with the prayer:

Hear my prayer, O Humakt
And mold thou my spirit,
As does a smith a sword in a forge.
Let me show Courage with Honor;
Temper Justice with Mercy;
Balance Privelege with Duty;
Guide Power with the hand of Conscience. And let me fail you not, before Death or after.

What's all this about mercy and conscience? Now I'm not saying that Humakti don't have either, but I don't think they are anything to do with being a Humakti. I think the official line would be that they are human failings that mostly just get in the way of doing what has to be done. They're like emotions to a Vulcan. Unnecessary. IMO. Also, Joram talks about having children later in life, which goes against my beliefs about Humakti fertility.

Phil.