Re: Humakt

From: Graham Robinson <gjr_at_thestableyard.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 08:35:12 +0100 (BST)

Phil Hibbs :

> Temper Justice with Mercy;
>
> What's all this about mercy and conscience? Now I'm not saying that Humakti
> don't have either, but I don't think they are anything to do with being a
> Humakti.

Depends in the meaning of mercy - to quote Pratchett's Death "Mercy is a sharp blade." I'd take this to mean that Humakti have little to do with torture, killing for fun, etc. They kill because it is necessary.

Andrew Larsen (replying to John Hughes) :

> Idon't think that Humakti severence is the same thing
> as being legally dead. That opens up all sorts of problems. For example,
> what's to stop a Humakti from committing crimes? If someone is legally
> dead, how can they be prosecuted for something? How can a dead man pay
> wergild? And if death is as important to Humakti as you say it is, why
> don't they go all the way and commit ritual suicide?

I think you slightly misunderstood John here - the person a Humakti *WAS* is legally dead. The person he is now is legally alive. They just have no connection.

Cheers,
Graham