Re: Heortling written languages

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 15:58:31 +0100 (BST)

Jeff Richard:
> However, I doubt that this script was particularly convenient for accounting
> or literary purposes or that this script was an alphabetic, or even
> syllabic, system of writing. Personally I think it was an ideographic system
> - much like the later God Learner runes. This comports with most
> illustrations of Orlanthi carvings and runes - a system of ideographic
> runes. Many of these runes had multiple meanings, so the Orlanth Rune also
> meant storm, conflict, etc.

Ah, that old chestnut. Application of the idea to the Orlanthi is a new wrinkle, though... It fits at least in making it a designedly bad fit, though, since as general-purpose writing system, runes would be lousy in the extreme.

> The ideographic system gave way to a syllabic system of writing
> (probably based on the sounds of the early runes).

Rebus-writing systems assume you have a rich (and appropriate) enough set of words-sounds to start with. (Not much use in Heortling Charades: 'sounds like "Orlanth"'.)

> Finally, I think New Pelorian, as we now know it, might be developed out of
> a Syllilan script with heavy Dara Happan and Carmanian influences. Maybe it
> is even a deliberate attempt to recreate the magic of the Dorastan script.

More likely it's self-consciously based on Pelandan, though I bet that use of glyphs is more an affectation, or a sacred rite, than a day to day practice, for which I think the Dara Happan alphabet seems likely.

Cheers,
Alex.