Humakti and pregnancy

From: Donald R. Oddy <donald_at_grove.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 23:35:07 GMT

>From: "Ian Thomson" <IThomson_at_groupwise.swin.edu.au>
>
>Lots of great info on Humakt
>
>but this point struck me, about it being bad luck to have a Humakti sit
>at your hearth if there was a pregnant woman there

>actually how does that work?
>If a Humakti visits your hearth and the following week you find out
>that your eldest daughter is 3 weeks pregnant?
>You'd basically never want a Humakti in your stead whilst there was a
>woman of child-bearing age there, just to be on the safe side

I don't see Humakti just casually dropping in the way other visitors would. If you wanted to invite one, you would mention it to your wife beforehand and she would take her daughters to visit her sister or mother. More likely you would visit him, especially as I think a clan's Humakti would tend to share a hearth together with various single men who for one reason or another didn't want to remain with their families. The few women would be crones, vingans or suchlike.

I can imagine the same thing happening with a Babeester Gor cultist, she may be a good friend of your wife but there's bound to be a very good reason for you not staying home when she visits.