Humakts son

From: David Cake <dave_at_difference.com.au>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 01:54:00 +0800

Julian Lord

> remember that even
> Humakt has children, the most famous of them being of course Arkat.

David Dunham

> Unfortunately for your argument, this is almost certainly metaphoric.
> "Son of Humakt" means "kick-butt champion of Humakt."

I think of this more as a magical epithet rather than metaphorical. Arkat heroquests to prove that he is the son of Humakt, in order to get more of a magical 'in' to Humakts powers, like that kick-butt sword. But I still think it shows that Humakt is not absolutely incompatible with fertility.

FWIW I think that there are many different approaches to Humakts worship, not all of which result in drastically decreased fertility. There are probably some (probably esrolian) which, concentrating on other symbolism of the sword, have effects somewhat in the opposite direction.

End of The Glorantha Digest V8 #93