Re: writing

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 20:54:49 +0100 (BST)

Topi Pitkanen:
> I'm a bit puzzled about written Western. Isn't that a writing system that all
> the people of the West could read and understand even if they didn't speak the
> same language. I've assumed that Western is a chinese-like logonographic
> writing. Or is Western an set of alphabet that can be used to write "any"
> language like our roman alphabet?

Much debated. Last time this came up (fairly recently), I "got in the last word" with Malkioni acronyms. ("Tamp.") Maybe the logographophiles have thought up a witty ad lib by now... I think that Western uses an alphabet, and is in effect a 'common sub-language', with somewhat different conventional readings in each spoken dialect (note how related all the W. "languages" are). In other words, it's "Malkioni Latin". (Thought the idea of it being as cursive as Arabic and as vowel-free (hence the dialect differences, in part) tickles me much more than having it _look_ anything like Roman script.)

Cheers,
Alex.