Re: Humakti

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 22:22:40 +0100 (BST)

John Hughes on Humakti:
> They're *severed*. Not only that they're *dead*.

More usually, they ain't either. Who precisely are we speaking of here? Humakti heroquesters? Tribal champions? One of your friendly neighbourhood (sic) weaponthanes? A member of the fyrd with 'some degree of devotion to' Humakt? What about clans such as the Greydogs, where Humaktism is 'institutionalised' somewhat? I think this sort of formal separation and/or ritual death (two subtle different, though related things) is a very powerful and "idiomatic" thing for a Humakti to do, but isn't anything like a universal practice.

In particular, (formally) leaving your clan is probably at the high end of the kinship severing scale. The starting point is probably severing your direct connection to your closest kin -- in particular your brothers. The most direct re-anacting of the myth, the most bang for your proverbial buck.

> If you think about mainstream Heortling society, a humakti would
> rate only slightly above an Uroxi a as choice of sexual/marriage partner.

Significantly below, for my money. (De gustibus, etc.)

Cheers,
Alex.