Re: Death & Fertility

From: Henrix <henrix_at_pp.sbbs.se>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 00:29:02 +0200

> From: David Cake <dave_at_difference.com.au>

> FWIW I think that there are many different approaches to Humakts
> worship, not all of which result in drastically decreased fertility.
> There are probably some (probably esrolian) which, concentrating on
> other symbolism of the sword, have effects somewhat in the opposite
> direction.

Absolutely!
Death is not the end of fertility, but often the beginning. I could well imagine (perhaps especially in Esrolia) Humakti pointing out that things have to die so that new things can come forth. This is, I think, one of the main reasons they do not like resurrecting the dead.

Humakt does not hate life, and so his followers are not chemically castrated.

Besides, are not dead bodies good fertilizer? Pushing up the daisies seems an appropriate task for the deceased ;-)

I do not, on the other hand, think that Humakti generally marry. People who are prepared to die any day seldom plan for a long and prosperous life.... And for those severed from their kin; it would seem an odd thing for a dead man to do.
But I do not think it is a hard rule, except in the odd clan or so.

Nor do I think that Babesteer Gori are infertile. The goddess was known to take many lovers, as do her followers, surely. Those who become pregnant probably leave for a gentler goddess, though.