Argrath's Companions

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 17:33:52 +1300

Nick Eden:

>Does anyone know any details of Argrath's household. I rather like to
>have some kicking about, in the way that a Pendragon game might
>feature a knight who's squire is King Lot's son Gawain.

Argrath's Companions are listed in KoS p169. There's damned little about them outside KoS.

Annstad of Dunstop. Argrath's second fertility companion. Probably a Heleri considering that he commanded the right wing of Argrath's Army at Yoran in 1635 and the left wing at the battle of Dwernapple (1638). Appointed King of Tarsh after Argrath deposed Mularik Ironeye. Feuded with King Orlgandi of the Colymar (1638-1648) but laid it aside for the benefit of Argrath. When he was killed, the Red Tide washed over the Kingdom.

Argrand Sunbright: Argrath's second homeguard. An Elmali. Killed by Lunars at Jenston, a place which is otherwise unknown to me.

Barngradus Two-plow: Argrath's second providing companion. Probably a Barntari. Replaced for unknown reasons.

Broyan the Cat: Argrath's second perceiving companion. Probably an intelligent shadow cat? Used up all nine lives in the LBQ.

Bastakos Forkbeard: Argrath's second knowing companion. Appointed after Enderos's demise and perished in the LBQ.

Dastrandos the Tracker: Argrath's first providing companion. Probably an Odayla hunter. Replaced for unknown reasons.

Elusu: Argrath's tricking companion. At first, he's the little shit but later became polite. Since this is before the LBQ, I suspect that he was renouncing his trickster status so that Argrath would be forced to take somebody else. After the LBQ, he reappears as Argrath's companion and is noted as helping him in the quest to free Valind.

Enderos Quicktongue: Argrath's first knowing companion. He's replaced in unknown circumstances before Argrath's LBQ and only reappears bearing the Longaxe as the Help from Below for Argrath in his final battle. Because of this, I think he died naturally or otherwise. Whether he bore the Longaxe the first time around is uncertain but I don't know of anybody else with it.

Entarios the Cow: Argrath's last providing companion and one who probably went with him on the LBQ as the refrain "did not return from it" is attached to his name. An Uraldan although the name seems masculine.

Farad the Toad, Firebringer: Argrath's tricking companion on the LBQ. Probably did not return from it (although the actual text that says it gets attached to Elusu who was never on it).

Harmast Hatchet: Argrath's second fighting companion. Although appointed after Yoran, he does not go with Argrath on the LBQ and is not known to be killed beforehand. A Harmast is noted as being killed in the Valind Quest but this is after the LBQ when Harmast Hatchet is no longer Argrath's fighting companion.

Harmast Peace-bringer: Argrath's last communicating companion. Appointed after the LBQ. Froze to death on the Winter Wastes in Argrath's attempt to free Valind.

Hendrik All-nose: Argrath's first perceiving companion. Killed at Yoran (1635).

Heortarl the Lightbringer: Argrath's second healing companion. Appointed sometime after Yoran and perished in the LBQ. Despite this, Argrath does _not_ appoint a replacement!?!

Jarang Bladesong: An early companion of Argrath's. Dwelt in Pavis in 1611 or so where he does various jobs for a priest called Argrath. His next and last appearance is in 1628, where he leads an army into Heortland to defend it against an incursion by Wolf Pirates. Nothing else of him is known. I get the impression of him as a camp-follower being sent by Argrath to do jobs that keeps him out of harm's way.

Jardanroste the Exile: Argrath's last perceiving companion, appointed after the LBQ. Almost certainly a Grazer from the name but seems to have been left behind after the Sun Bells rang.

Jenesta the Grim: Argrath's first homeguard (which might means guarding Argrath's Kingdom while Argrath was away on the LBQ). Killed by a troll named Gashsson at unknown place and date.

Korlmar most-White: Argrath's first healing companion. A White Healer. Killed at Yoran.

Kulbrast Swiftfoot: Argrath's first moving companion. Replaced in unknown circumstances before the LBQ. Worshipper of Mastakos in aspect as Step Father.

Leika the Mayor: Argrath's freedom companion. The only other person of that name that I know off is Leika the Ballista who never was a mayor but Queen of the Colymar. Hence I don't think it's her.

Mularik Ironeye: Knight from Tanisor. Met by Argrath on Harrek's circumnavigation epic and after its completion settles in Tanisor. At a call by Argrath, he abandons everything to help him in the conquest of Tarsh and is made King for his pains (1630 or so). Later assassinated by Argrath's friends after a reign of misrule.

Orlaront Dragonfriend: Argrath's Dragon companion. Helped raise the Brown Dragon to devour the Temple of the Reaching Moon in 1625 but that was in Kallyr's service, not Argrath's. Nothing else is known.

Orlmarl the Charioteer: Argrath's second moving companion. Went on the LBQ and did not return. Probably worshipped Mastakos in chariot aspect.

Orkala the Black: Argrath's third fighting companion. Appointed some time after 1635 and died in the LBQ. Called Argrath's Sword which probably means a Humakti.

Orstalor the Spearlord: Argrath's fourth homeguard. Killed by sorcery at Wilkswall which sounds like somewhere in Heortland or God Forgot.

Natalina the Vingasdotter: Argrath's last fighting companion. Appointed after the LBQ. Wonder what she thought about Kallyr?

Perandal Hardwind: Argrath's third homeguard. Killed by broos at Twotree, a place which does sound familiar but I can't find it.

Rostakos of the Entan Clan: Argrath's first fighting companion. Tribe unknown but not one of the Colymar. He is noted as being an Admiral that drove off the wolf pirates when Argrath was having trouble with Tarshites, Grazers and Elves but the date of this battle is otherwise unknown. He was killed at the battle of Yoran in 1635.

Saronil Goldentongue: Argrath's second communicating companion. Undoubtedly an Issaries type. Appointed after Dwernapple and survived the LBQ. Shortly afterwards he retires IMO for Argrath appoints a third communicating companion.

Satark Freeman: Argrath's last homeguard. Possibly a Larnsti.

Takala the Lover: Argrath's first fertility companion. No details known but probably dumped when Annstad enters Argrath's life.

Urenstad Angorrisson: Argrath's first communicating companion. Killed at Dwernapple.

>Unfortunately the only member of Argrath's household that immediately
>springs to mind in Minaryth Puple.

Was not a member. He's only associated with Kallyr and dies in 1624.