Re: The Glorantha Digest V8 #98

From: Peter Larsen <plarsen_at_mail.utexas.edu>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 16:03:44 -0700

Trotsky says to Julian Lord (and Peter Metcalfe said something similar):

><< Remember that we're speaking of a writing system that's *at least* 2.500 -
>3.000 years old (or 3.500 - 4.000 years older than comparable RW C20/21
>writing systems ; if the
> 'Brithini Latin' camp is in the right).>>
>
> Sounds about right. Golden Age Brithini is likely tens of thousands of
>years old.

        Of course, so are some of the Brithini (well, maybe not tens of thousands, but old....) so if you measure in generations, it's not so long a time.

        Thanks to Richard Bourke for clearing up a mystery.

Alex Ferguson says:

>> I was asssuming Western was lettered. I keep reading that last
>> staement as "Western as India Pale Ale." Do they make Pale Ale in the West?
>> Are they famous for it?
>
>I think of them as being more of your lager or weisbier drinkers
>myself. But that may be my anti-Malkioni bias showing.

        Has anyone done an overview of Gloranthan alcohol?

and:

>in the West; and secondly, there may be a tradition of not writing
>some things down (like myths), which this would provide the technology
>to break. Though this is a somewhat circular argument, as a prohibition
>against writing down myths would supposes that it's possible enough
>to be worth forbidding, as it were.

        This is a nifty idea, and one that could be used to good effect in tensions between rural and urban Lhankor Mhy worshippers. The anti-Malkoni sentiment was also something that wasn't in the front of my mind; maybe writing is, or can be seen as, not magical but specifically sorcerous (in some Orlanthi areas at specific times).

iLwtDS Nellist says:

>I speak of course of the Zzaburi Solid known as a D10

        Surely Zzabur wouldn't have truck with a non-Platonic solid (and a grossly physical un-platonic affair is, of course, unthinkable....).

        I never know what to say to Terra Incognita, except I think the idea of Uz mystics is utterly compelling: the annihilation of the self at the heart of Primal Darkness, the Perfect One Silence at the heart of Ignorance, and not the rejection of family, but the perfect alignement with the Great Mother, the Womb Heartbeat, Sophia Ligor.... Oh, I must go lay down now....

Peter Larsen