'riting and 'rithmetic

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2000 11:14:47 +1300

>From: David Dunham <dunham_at_pensee.com>

>ABF>Meldekophobes will distrust it if it originates in the West;

>Just like Cato "Carthago delenda est" the Elder agitated to drop the
>Roman script because of its Phoenician ancestry, eh?

Simply because even Cato knew it didn't come from Carthage? He didn't agitate for the destruction of Utica and other Punic cities for similar reasons.

>If the West does indeed use an alphabetic script, a Heortling
>adoption of it doesn't have to have a strong resemblance to the
>original, not does anyone have to remember its origin.

But people generally do remember where their letters came from if they acquired it historically. The Greeks remembered that they got their letters from the Phoenicians for example.

>KN>What bugs me is that we Malkioni have a perfectly good number
> >system, with zeroes, and decimals etc and you Heortlings come
> >along and count to 20 and then mush it all up with your stupid
> >WWWWW's

>Wow, this ought to be the case somewhere in Glorantha! (I actually
>suspect some place further removed from the decimal-crazy Dara
>Happans, like Fonrit or the early Agimori empires.)

Deranged counting systems aren't all that foreign. One only has to look at MDCCCLXXXVIII...